Year 7 & 8
In Year 7 - 10 students undertake a range of core subjects from the Victorian Curriculum
In Years 7 & 8 we have developed approaches to ensure teachers have extended opportunities to work with the same group of students.
- English, Humanities and Ethical Capability are taught by the same teacher
- Maths and Science and Digital Technologies are also taught by the same teacher
- In addition the students undertake a range of elective subjects which allow the students to explore a variety of learning experiences.
- Students also have the opportunity to select from German or Japanese as a language study.
At Ballarat High school every student has a Learning Mentor. The role of the mentor is to improve student learning, motivation and achievement. Each week mentors meet with their students and their role is to assist the student to develop and maintain challenging learning goals.
At the start of Year 7 we focus on building relationships with students.
Time is devoted to:
- Getting to know each other
- A student camp that allows teachers and students to build strong relationships
- And most importantly getting to know parents with a year 7 Welcome Evening.
Year 7 & 8 Learning Teams
- Each learning team contains 100 students.
- The learning team has a team leader.
- Each team has longer blocks of time with core teachers.
- The Learning Mentor is usually one of the core teachers.