Year 7 & 8
In Year 7 - 10 students undertake a range of core subjects from the Victorian Essential Learning Standards’ Framework.
In Years 7 & 8 we have developed approaches to ensure teachers have extended opportunities to work with the same group of students.
- English, Humanities and Personal Learning are taught by the same teacher as is Maths and Science
- In addition the students undertake a range of elective subjects which allow the students to explore a variety of learning experiences.
- Students also have the opportunity to select from German or Japanese as a language study.
At Ballarat High school every student has a Learning Adviser. The role of the adviser is to improve student learning, motivation and achievement. Each week advisers meet with their students and their role is to assist the student to develop and maintain challenging learning goals.
Information communication technology is taught via the core teachers and is integral to the teaching and learning program. Each class has allocated access to computers during the year and in addition we also have computers in classrooms. This allows the technological skills to become a core part of the student learning program.
At the start of Year 7 we focus on building relationships with students.
Time is devoted to:
- Getting to know each other
- A student camp that allows teachers and students to build strong relationships
- And most importantly getting to know parents with a year 7 Welcome Evening.
Year 7 & 8 Learning Teams
- Each learning team contains 100 students.
- The learning team has a team leader.
- Each team has longer blocks of time with core teachers.
- The Learning Adviser is usually one of the core teachers.